A road grader is an important piece of heavy equipment that can help make construction jobs easier and more efficient. But before purchasing one, you need to know the cost and how to fund the purchase of this rather pricey piece of heavy equipment. In this blog post, we’ll outline the cost of a road grader and provide tips on how to best finance it.
What Does a Road Grader Do?
A road grader is a construction machine that creates a smooth, level surface on a dirt or gravel road. Road graders are also known as motor graders, maintainers, or simply graders. These machines typically have a large blade in the front that can be raised or lowered to push material around. Road graders are often used in conjunction with other heavy equipment, such as excavators, to level roads and prepare them for paving.
Different Types of Motor Graders
There are many different types of road graders on the market, ranging in size, power, and features. The type of machine you’ll need will depend on the scope of your project. For example, a small residential construction site might only require a mini road grader, while a large commercial development will need a much larger machine. Here is a quick overview of some of the most popular types of road graders:
- Small or mini road graders: These machines are typically used for light grading jobs on residential properties. They can be powered by gas, diesel, or electricity, and they usually have a blade about 3 feet wide.
- Mid-sized road graders: Mid-sized road graders are a good option for medium-sized construction projects. They typically have a blade that is 4-6 feet wide and can be powered by gas, diesel, or electricity.
- Large road graders: Large road graders are the best choice for big commercial construction projects. They usually have a blade that is 8-12 feet wide, and diesel engines power them.
How Much Does a Road Grader Cost?
The cost of a road grader will vary depending on the size, power, and features. Small or mini road graders start at around $15,000, while large commercial grade machines can cost upwards of $100,000. If you’re looking for a used road grader, you can expect to pay about half the price of a new one.
Factors that can affect the cost of a motor or road grader include:
- Size: The size of the machine will have a big impact on the price. Smaller machines are typically less expensive than larger ones.
- Power source: Road graders can be powered by gas, diesel, or electricity. Diesel-powered road graders tend to be more expensive than those that run on gas or electricity.
- Features: Some road graders come with add-on features that can increase the price. For example, some models have GPS systems or wireless remote controls.
- Brand: The brand of the machine can also affect the cost. Some of the most popular brands include Caterpillar, John Deere, and Komatsu.
To give you an idea of the cost of popular road graders for sale, here are the pricing ranges for the top brands:
- Caterpillar: $30,000-$100,000
- John Deere: $20,000-$70,000
- Komatsu: $40,000-$90,000
- Case: $30,000-$80,000
- Bobcat: $15,000-$50,000
- Volvo: $25,000-$100,000
Benefits of Financing Your Road Grader
There are many benefits to financing your road grader, including:
- Affordability: Financing can make a road grader more affordable by spreading the cost out over time.
- Flexibility: Financing allows you to choose the repayment schedule that best suits your needs.
- Tax advantages: In some cases, you may be able to deduct the interest you pay on your loan from your taxes.
- Preserve capital: Financing can help you preserve working capital since you won’t have to tie up a large amount of money in the purchase of the road grader.
Compared to leasing a road grader, financing has several advantages. With financing, you’ll own the machine outright and can sell it or trade it in when you’re ready to upgrade to a newer model. With leasing, you’ll have to return the road grader to the leasing company at the end of the lease term and will have no equity in the machine.
Obtain Road Grader Financing Through Charter Capital
If you’re considering financing your road grader purchase, the Charter Capital team can help. We offer a variety of financing options that can meet your needs. We’ve been supporting businesses of all sizes and industries with their equipment financing requirements for over 40 years. Our team of experts is ready to help you find the best funding solution for your business.
To learn more about our road grader financing options, contact us today. We’ll be happy to answer any questions and help you get started with the process.